Monday, January 19, 2015

Happy Birthday Michael!!


Italian Rainbow Cookies Happy Birthday Michael!! These are his favorite. He used get these " when he was a good boy" in Brooklyn from a bakery named Palermos. Since we live in Midwest and, he can't even get a Cookie Puss for his birthday, I thought I would spoil him with these. This is the second time making these for him. The first time he was so impressed he said he would marry me. :) These cookies are great and I have included the recipe below. Italian Rainbow Cookies
8 oz. almond paste 1 c. butter softened 1 c. white sugar 4 eggs, separated 2 c. all purpose flour 6 drops of red food coloring 6 drops of green food coloring 1/4 cup seedless red rasberry jam 1/4 cup apricot jam 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips Pre-heat oven to 350. You will need 3 9x13 baking pans lined with parchment paper.
Break up the almond past with fork then cream butter, sugar and eggs yolks. When smooth stir in flour
Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold into dough.
Divide into 3 equal portions, Red/Green/White.
Spread into the prepared baking dishes. Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove from pan and parchment paper cool completely.
Place green layer on plastic wrap large enough to cover. The green layer gets raspberry jam and white layer gets covered in apricot. I am sorry for lack of pictures on this step. They were not good enough to put on here.
Compress and chill in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
Remove plastic wrap and top with melted choc chips refrigerate for 1 hour.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rainbow-cookies/ Prep really takes the longest. But after the chocolate has harden you will cut into small servings and Enjoy! Last time the Almond paste I used looked like jelly and not very appealing. This time it was a hard paste that I needed to break up with my fork to mix into the batter. Another tip I will give you MEASURE WHEN YOU SPLIT INTO 3RDs. Clearly I did not and my green layer came out much thinner than I would have preferred. I hope you enjoyed and make these for yourself sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment